Friday, December 3, 2010

My Personal Goals & Concerns

To be the best I can be.
That is my real goal of the class summed up in a single statement. I personally am a science and math person; I like when there is one correct answer so I can check my own work. I'm not a fan of the fact that in English there are many different correct ways to write, read, and interpret. English may not be my strong suit, but I know that if I work hard, I can learn, and improve at least something before I head off to university. One of my other goals is to be able to share in class, I'm always afraid that I have the wrong idea of something and that if I share I'll just be laughed at; basically I want to get over that dumb insecurity.

Not understanding, and being afraid to ask.
I have a bad habit of acting like I know what I'm talking about all of the time. Yes-I know that is not the way I should walk into a college-prep class, and yes I realize that I'm going to have change that and fast! This would have to be my biggest concern with the class. I really think there are going to be days when I am just "out of it" because I didn't get enough sleep, or because my mind is on something else; and because of this I may not be able to pay attention in class and then I'll get really behind!

I am excited though.
My sister graduated in '04 and she took College English back then and loved it. She didn't really explain anything to me, she only said she loved it. I only hope that I'm able to say that when the course is over. As for the literature that we are going to read, I'm excited for '1984,' 'The Color Purple,' 'The Poisonwood Bible,' 'Their Eyes Were Watching God,' and 'Ordinary People.' Although I do realize not all of these are required, they are at our fingertips, so why not try to expand your knowledge by reading some new literature?

4 comments:

  1. That was great! If you continue writing like that throughout the class, I know you'll do awesome. Way to be yourself and say what you mean and feel. I give it an A!
    (By the way, we saw your brother today at Admissions. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That's a lot of words!!!
    You really gave this first post all of your effort. I respect that and hope to see you do just as good in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice reflection Alex... As far as your concerns, I think your attitude will help you to cope with them. Remember, everybody is entitled to bad days... just try to keep the majority of your days in class focused and engaged and you will do well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about reading all the books. I have heard from people that the "color purple" and the "Poisin Wood Bible" are both really good books and I am excited you finally read them myself. I have started "1984" and so far it seems kind of sad and dismal but it makes me think and it makes me a little angry to some degree. But what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger!!! haha

    ReplyDelete