Friday, December 3, 2010

Goals + Concerns

First off, one of my big goals to achieve during this class is to become better at essay writing and learning more literary elements to make me better in english. My stronger points are definitly in science and math, but I want to make sure I'm a well rounded student going into college and later, a career.
Next, are a few concerns of mine. One thing that worries me is they types of essays we're going to have to write! Previous english classes have been pretty cookie-cutter, read a few books, take a quiz on them, learn some vocab, etc. I've never really dug into the details of how to write an argument, synthesis, or op-ed essay. (I did have too look up what an op-ed was!) I don't know how much time, energy, and thought is going to need to go into these types of assignments, and I like to know whats coming (no surprises), which may lead me to worry a bit on these types of writings.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree!
    While math and science are also my strongest points, I really want to strive in English.

    And I didn't know what op-ed ment untill after reading this and reasearching it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutly agree! The cookie cutter part is totally true. Thats another reason I'm so excited for the class! Expanding my horizons after so many classes that follow the same format sounds pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad I wasent the only one that didnt know what op-ed meant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha... that's funny about the op-ed. I am a firm-believer in keeping you guys informed of the expectations ahead of time. So don't worry about that! Just make sure you are proactive in asking questions if you are confused about something. I want you all to be clear in what I expect from you. It is unfortunate that you all seem to view the educational experience as "cookie cutter," and that is part of why College English seems so challenging. It is going to require you really think, examine, and, work to create a product... not just regurgitate something onto a piece of paper! My hope is, although this will be difficult for you, it will be very rewarding in the end!

    ReplyDelete