Sunday, December 19, 2010

Confused about 1984...

Since I was one of the people who didn't get to share a "quote" or question I had about the book in class on Friday, I thought I would share it here.
I guess that I've never really understood the whole "Thought Police" concept in Winston's society. What I am confused about is how exactly they are able to read minds of the people in the society. And if they are, how come they haven't caught Winston for his free and opinionated thoughts. Which adds another question of mine: Is Winston really thinking these things? If he was, wouldn't he have been caught by now?
These are just a few of the many things I am confused about in the book. Otherwise, so far, I am really enjoying the book (although I will probably re-read the whole first part just to make sure I understand it before our quiz when we return)!

1 comment:

  1. These are good questions Chelsea... Can the thought police really read thoughts? If so, why haven't they got Winston already? Maybe the answer is not as important as the threat. Think about that. The threat of thought crime makes every citizen afraid of rebellion. Although Winston is thinking rebelliously... he is still petrified and has not fully acted on those thoughts yet. It is a control mechanism. The threat has just enough reality (Ministry of Love... though patrols... telescreen) to keep the populace under control. I hope this helps. By the way, the bread was delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete