Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Bluest Eye ******SPOILER ALERT!!*******

I finished reading The Bluest Eye on Thursday, and I have to say that the ending was not at all what I expected. I do not understand how or why the girl got her blue eyes. I mean, I know why she wanted them, but why would the church guy give them to her, and how could he? Is this some kind of metaphor for something else? Noble told me that Pecola just went crazy and is imagining all of the ending (with her blue eyes,) but this doesn't make much since to me either! I wish that there was more then just three of us reading this book so that we could talk about this as a class, but at least it is Noble and Eric, and I know they can help me out. Im counting on you boys!

2 comments:

  1. yeah shes crazy... lol. i think its supost to symbolize sumthing. maybe b/c the dude was nice to her and made her feel good the way she was idk! maybe Eric has more imput...hopfully lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pecola does NOT actually get blue eyes, she is just imagining that she received them from soaphead church, since he told her that if she fed the dog and it reacted to it her wish would be granted and when the dog died she thought her wish was fufilled. Personally the reason why I thought soaphead helped pecola out was because he appreciated the fact that what she wanted from him was Blue Eyes. What i mean by this is that soaphead knows that blue eye's are a symbol of beauty, the beauty of whiteness. And since soaphead's family was so intent on maintaing the whiteness of their family he can see where she is coming from. You can see this on pg 168 when he says "As the years passed, due to carelessness of some of the Whitcomb brothers, it became difficult to maintain their whiteness and some distant and some not so distant relatives married each other." This quoute shows how soapheads family was so intent on keeping the family white that they prefered to marry each other instead of marrying people of color. Also Pecola does go crazy at the end from recieving her blue eyes. This is ironic since she always believed that if she got blue eyes then all of her problems would be solved and people would notice her, but instead in recieving her blue eyes she lost her mind, and has become more isolated than ever with people either chosing to not notice her or laugh at her. Well anyways i hoped that this helps you guys out, if you guys have any other questions feel free to ask, I will answer to the best of my abilities.

    ReplyDelete