Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Bluest Eye quotes

I have finally finished the bluest eye and I would like to share some of my favorite quotes from the book. The first one is found on pg 48 when pecola goes to buy some candy from Mr. Yacobowsi she says "He does not see her, because for him there is nothing to see. How can a fifty-two-year-old white immigrant storekeeper with the taste of potatoes and beer in his mouth, his mind honed on the doe-eyed Virgin Mary, his sensibilities blunted by a permanent awareness of loss, see a little black girl? Nothin in his life even suggested that the feat was possible, not to say desirable or necessary." Another of my favorite quotes is found on page 177 in Soaphead churches letter to god he says "In retaining the identity of our race, we held fast to those characteristics most gratifying to sustain and least troublesome to maintain. Consequently we were not royal but snobbish, not aristocratic but class-conscious; we belieed authority was cruelty to our inferiors, and education was being at school. We mistook violence for passion, indolence for leisure, and thought recklessness was freedom. We raised our children and reared our crops; we let infants grow, and property develop. Our manhood was defined by acquisitions. Our womanhood by acquiescence."

3 comments:

  1. Oh nice quotes! I especially like the ending of the second quote. It relates so nicely to what we have been discussing in class, and it shows that men are also victims of societal stereotyping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the quotes Eric! I just marked them in my book!If you have time I would love to hear what you have to say about the ending of the book, I am not sure how well I understand it and I know that you are really good at this kind of stuff! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh eric thanks so much! im having a terrible time getting quotes from this book

    ReplyDelete