Thursday, February 2, 2012

Gay Rights

LinkOkay, so I'm not going to be in class tomorrow but I still want to get my opinion on Gay Rights out there. I don't know what will be said in class or anything about the presentation but this is my opinion.
1. I am completely and totally for gay rights. Someone's sexuality should have no bearing in how they are allowed to live their life. Who are we to tell someone they can't marry who they love just because they are both guys? I mean look...the whole Kardashian wedding lasted what a couple weeks? and didn't Brittany Spears marry someone for like a day? And then you look and Neil Patrick Harris and his partner have been together for 8 years. Someone people say that gay marriage ruins the 'sanctity' of marriage but how is there sanctity in a day marriage and no sanctity in an 8 year loving relationship? Also, take a look at this video...it shows how the lifestyles of gay relationships are no different and no less than straight ones.
http://news.advocate.com/post/13324191023/possibly-the-most-beautiful-ad-for-marriage-equalityhttp:/

2. Some of you may argue that gay couples can't properly raise a baby. Why should it matter what sexuality the parents are if they can raise a child with love and support? How many straight parents abuse and hurt their children? Sexuality should not dictate how well of a parent someone will be. Once again, watch this video...it clearly shows that gay couples are completely capable of raising a successful child.
http://front.moveon.org/two-lesbians-raised-a-baby-and-this-is-what-they-got/?fb_ref=.Ttb1YzkXZ6n.like&fb_source=home_oneline

annnnnnnddd we have my pretend debate.... I have heard some people say these things about gay rights and gays sooo here is my pretend debate....I have heard that 1) gay people are evil. 2) gay people are gay because they are being punished for sins. 3) gay parents should not raise a child. 4) homosexuality is a sin.

I’m sorry but 1) really? are they “evil” because they love someone thats not who others think they should love. Just because they aren't a girl or a boy doesn’t mean we have the right to tell who they can love. (see my #1 above) 2) they are being punished for their sins? the sin of loving someone and then having the whole of society hate them for it? i refuse to believe that being gay is a choice. just like being straight is not a choice. you are attracted to the people you are attracted too. I like men, that's not my choice, it’s just how I am. someone people like girls, thats just how they are. we didn't choose to be born straight, bi, gay, blonde, red head, skinny, fat, smart, athletic...thats just the way we are and we should accept people for that. 3) just because you are gay, you shouldn’t raise a child? even if those gay parents are loving, supportive, and the most ideal parents you could find? if two gay men adopt a child, are you saying that that is worse than if that child is put through foster care? (see my #2) 4) okay that is your belief, and by this time if nothing I have said has either made you think or you agreed with then i give up. you can have your belief, and i’ll go back to mine.

But I believe that we should not discriminate or judge people regardless of whether they are straight, bi, gay, or unicorn.

the end.

10 comments:

  1. Or unicorn nice touch jen. I like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha wow Jen way to lead a double sided debate all by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha love this Jen!! I wish you could be here tomorrow, want me to bring my computer in so we can try to skype during class haha?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wish you could come today for the debate. I think it would be really interesting! :D
    So why are you gone??? Don't be sick Jen! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Tyler, i didn't want those of the unicorn gender to feel left out. and yep Maddie, I am skilled at those double sided debates haha but i hope the debate went ok...from the blog it seems as though it was a little heated...

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow you reallly put a lot of effort into that post just because you were gonna miss one day lol, but well uhh reserched.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that last sentance made me read all of this not gonna lie! and yes double sided debate in your head do you do that when your bored? jk :) but all in all good job Jen !

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha tonya, technically it wasn't a double sided debate because most of the post i copied and pasted from my tumblr after we had a gay discussion at lunch like 2 months and i ranted on my blog about it soooo people in the class have told me these things against gay rights. idk if that made sense...but yes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. alright,but what really is love? honestly I still think you choose to love, and are socialized to be attracted to people. Youre right, you dont choose to be attracted to someone, but in someway or another you have been socialized to be attracted to that person. The places Ive been, things Ive seen, stories Ive heard have all effected me one way or another and changed my opinion on things. And my opinion and perspective changes because its my CHOICE. I dont know if that really makes sense, but I honestly think that people choose to be gay, or at least choose to act on first instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I kinda understand where you are coming from but i don't agree. Yes, we have a choice to act on instincts but if someone is truly attracted to the same sex then should they just live a half life? i mean i didn't really have a choice in being straight, i like boys and thats how i feel like gay people are too...they just like the same sex. some people are born straight and some are born gay. so yes, we could all not act on instinct and ignore our attractions but wouldn't that be a sucky life? who are we to tell them that we are allowed to act on our instincts but they can't? and love is something that I feel is different for everyone, like stariha said there's lovers, family, and friends- all with a different type of love. just because two people have penis's doesn't mean they can't love.

    ReplyDelete