Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hello college english class. How is your Easter going? I hope that everyone is getting a lot done this weekend!

We are nearing the end of Poisonwood Bible! Im not gunna lie, I can't wait to start a new book. Its not that I don't like Poisonwood Bible but its starting to get a little old. I think its because this book is longer then the other ones we have read so far.

I was reading over the weekend and I came across a quote by Leah and I thought I would share it.

"I long to wake up, and then I do. I wake up in love, and work my skin to darkness under the equatorial sun. I look at my four boys, who are the colors of silt, loam, dust, and clay, an infinite palette for children of their own, and I understand that time erases whiteness altogether." (526)

This is such a powerful quote that can be taken many different ways. This quote shows how much Leah hates the color of her skin because of what is associated in the Congo with the whites. Leah works her self hard to try to make up for being white. I just think that Kingsolver writes this beutifully and wanted to share it

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! I totally agree! Thats a really gorgeous and powerful quote! I find it really intersting that the girl who during her childhood was so sure of where she stood and that what she knew and did was right is now the one the doubts everything and hates who she is and where she comes from...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also ready for the book to get over with. It's been an interesting and intense read, but it's super long! But yeah, I totally agree, that's definitely one of the more powerful quotes in the book!

    ReplyDelete