Sunday, April 15, 2012

my thoughts, shoot.

So Ive been thinking a lot about this whole religion, God, spirituality, absolute truth thing a lot lately. This weekend I went to a youth conference in Chicago about evangelism. So we had time to go out into the streets of chi-town and we were supposed to talk to people about Christ. I got to go to the Lincoln Park Zoo and talk to people. Anyways, I got into this really good discussion with this guy about what he believes and he was an ex-catholic school boy turned budahist. And then I talked to his friends about what they believe.. and it was like a mix of reencarnation meets you make your own heaven meets Im a spiritual person without any relgion. .. so I shared what I believe with them.. and then walked away. I then walked back to the bus so confused because I completely understand that everyone needs to make a choice of what they believe for themselves, and if what they have is working for them great.. but it kills me to think that we can say this but then some of us have religions that would damn people to hell if they didnt believe in it.. I'm having issues because thats what I believe. Ya know I really hate the way that Nathan comes across in poisonwood, but there is part of me that really respects him.. He wanted to serve Christ.. Although he was quite hypocritical in many ways.. he wanted them to believe..

2 comments:

  1. It's true, I understand what you are saying about Nathan. Although he was Completely out of line in what he was preaching to the people, at least he preached at all. He stood up for what he believed in...even though it was a corrupt/twisted version of the Bible.
    It is really horrible that some 'religions' damn people to hell, but you know what?
    In my opinion, that is what motivates me to speak to them. I can't bear the thought of just letting them jump into the fire without warning them...you know?
    But God is a Judge...he is a JUST Judge. Think about how scary it would be if He wasn't. I mean...we'd never know what He was up to. But if God didn't punish the wicked...that wouldn't be Just at all.
    I believe everyone has an 'empty' space in their hearts where God is supposed to be. We all try to fill it with different things...and it still leaves us feeling empty.
    I find the only way I can be truly satisfied with my life and the situations I deal with in it, is to trust God. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that mission work should be show and tell. In order to reach people you need to understand how they feel and what they believe. Ill post more about this later

    ReplyDelete