Monday, April 4, 2011

The PWB

Everytime I pick up the Poisonwood Bible I can't keep from thinking about how much I am learning from it. In our last two books in class I found it easier to just read the book because I had to, but its completely different with this one. Everything in this book has so much built into it. I feel like I have to read slower to catch all the details because it is SO indepth. I really enjoy each of the characters and their unique use of dialogue and thoughts.
I also find our discussions in class quite interesting. I really like hearing what others have to say about the novel and different characters as we dig deeper into the story. Discussions always help to clear the misunderstandings I sometimes find and make things clearer. Sometimes I feel like the book is saying one thing where it might be saying something completely different to someone else or just in actually.
I'm still confused about the different books and what exactly each of them mean overall. With this book I find it easier to understand the details but not the big picture. I really enjoy reading The Poisonwood Bible because it is very interesting, has a lot of meaning, and has great comparisons and interpretations from its literal message in several cases.
I have been realizing that the more that each character reveals, the more I can see that I am really like all of them. I guess thats why I enjoy the book so much. I'm looking forward to getting further into the book.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are enjoying the book Chelsea. It is one of my favorites and it speaks to me differently every time I read it. Enjoy the details and observe them... don't feel you need the "big picture" yet... remember in the beginning of the book as Orleanna looked down upon the girls in the jungle? She talked about seeing things clearly only looking back apart from it all (the "eyes in the trees" if you will)... that may be part of the message. It is hard to see clearly if we form judgments too early and only looking from one point of view. Keep listening to the story(ies), let them speak to you, and learn the lesson(s) a little at a time! (And don't be afraid to speak up in class!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My post just made me think of the Emily Dickinson poem... "the truth must dazzle gradually or every man be blind." Perhaps Kingsolver is doing the same thing... first we must begin (genesis), then we must realize (revelations), then we form judgments (judges), and then..... we eventually have our "eyes in the trees" and can see the WHOLE picture! Wow... sometimes I think I might be kind of smart. he he he.

    ReplyDelete