Friday, April 1, 2011

EDUCATION!

Ms. Stariha's discussion today about the education system really got me thinking. I especially was interested when she was talking about merit pay. There is definitly two sides to this issue, and I am not sure which argument I side with. I understand completely why teachers don't want to get paid based on how well students in their class, (whom they do not get to select) do on a test. This would also cause teachers to teach strictly to a test which would make teachers feel confined to very specific material. But, from the other prospective, the way teachers are currently evaluated is probably not a fair examination of the teacher. Also, it makes sense that better teachers should get paid more money, I'm just not sure yet if standardized test is the best way to evaluate this. I'm in between!

5 comments:

  1. Standardized test are NEVER the right way to evaluate pay! Our class used to be 127, and now it's 94(ish). They took the easy way out, and if the teacher's pay was determined by score and preformance, then those students did nothing but harm the educational program because of a faulty program. And don't you dare argue that the drop outs HAD to leave to support their family or some other heart felt excuse. I knew almost all of them, even by relation, and nearly all of them didn't care for other reasons, such as being brought up the wrong way or just plain laziness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a really complicated issue, and honestly, I am really interested in learning more about many of the topics I listed (especially merit pay). I don't think any of the issues have easy answers. Hopefully they will make for some really good research papers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross you can't just jump to a conclusion like that, especially since we live in a small town like shelby were some of the biggest issues facing our community included the debate on building the wind farm and more recently the budget cut for schools(i'm not saying that these arn't important because they are.) But were lucky as apposed to an urban school were the students their have to deal with drugs,gangs, and violence on a daily basis, and just cause students here drop out for dumb reason's that doesn't mean that others don't have good reasons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many of the topics I've heard about before and I see both sides. I think the tough part about the research paper will be choosing a side to represent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see both sides also. I don't really know how I feel about it because I am one of the students that isn't the greatest at testing but at our school we have some very good teachers and they have helped me a lot to get better at testing, so it might be an ok thing here lol i am not really sure.

    ReplyDelete