Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Particular Thing

Here is my free-write for today. I didn't want to share in class because it seemed irrelevant to what we were talking about:

"I know that there must be some sort of significance in the 'particular thing' because otherwise we wouldn't be writing about it. However, i don't see what the significance is. He says that it is something that sticks with you but doesn't have a reason to stick with you.

I'm not sure what a 'particular thing' to me is. I guess it could be music (because we are listening to it right now). I love all kinds of music and i get rediculously distracted by it sometimes. My love of music stays with me, but it draws away from things. I don't like music with lyrics because it limits the power of it. Without lyrics, it could be saying anthing; with lyrics, it's confined to mean what the words are.

There are times when I'm watching movies and the music tells the story way better than the video and script can. That way, everyone can kind of make their own version of what happened instead of what some director wants to happen.

I probably should go back to the 'particular thing' that I am supposed to be writing about. i think that Joe's 'particular thing' with the phone is more than a phone. It's a symbol of something more, I just don't know what it is."

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Taylor! I always love to hear your take on things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music is a very particular thing, because it can evoke so much emotion. It can take you back to a specific moment and you can remember exactly where you were when you heard that song. It can also remind you how it made you feel when you heard it. Holding those nostalgic memories is another feeling on its own. This is a great point to bring up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "it seemed irrelevant"

    I don't thinks so! You should have shared this! You have a unique view on the matter and a creative style of writing. You should share more offten.

    ReplyDelete