Monday, February 13, 2012

JGHG Quotes

Page 115
"But what did the dead say? Did anybody ever come back from the dead any single one of the millions who got killed did any one of them ever come back and say by god I'm glad I'm dead because death is always better than dishonor."

"Nobody but the dead know whether all these things people talk about are worth dying for or not. And the dead can't talk."


Page 113
"For Christ sake give us things to fight for we can see and feel and pin down and understand."


"You've paid for something you'll never collect."


Page 110
"He can't prove the thing he's talking about so how in the hell can he be telling you to fight for it?"


Page 116
"They are saying that two and two make nothing. They are saying that a man will have to die in order to protect his life."


Page 117
"Life is awfully important so if you've given it away you'd ought to think with all your mind in the last moments of your life about the thing you traded it for. So did all those kids die thinking of democracy and freedom and liberty and honor and the safety of the home and the stars and stripes forever? You're goddam right they didn't....They forgot the thing they were fighting for the things they were dying for....They died with only one thought in their minds and that was I want to live I want to live I want to live."

"He could speak for the dead because he was one of them."


Page 118
"There's nothing noble about dying....The most important thing is your life little guys."

4 comments:

  1. SOOOOOO. I like all your quotes and all, but what exactly are the major topics we should be thinking about? I have a feeling that they discussed a lot of it that one day we went to davenport, so anyone, help? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch for the quotes Kaitlin! I found a couple on here that I didnt have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 2 + 2 = nothing... It reminds me of, guess what, 1984. The concept that they can take the meaning out of what really matters and focus the population on meaningless ideas (according to Trumbo) like democracy and honor... I think that Trumbo really likes to point out the contrast between abstract ideas that can be manipulated and concrete realities like relationships with fathers, fishing trips, loves, work, the sound of a piano... I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! I thought the same thing when I read that quote.

    ReplyDelete