Friday, April 29, 2011

On Thursday I never got the chance to share my quote...
What I found was at the top of page 512 in Rachel's section.
She states...

"Do I ever think about the life I missed in the good old U.S.A?
Practically every day, would be my answer. Oh, goodness, the parties, the cars, the music- the whole carefree American way of life. I've missed being a part of something you could really believe in."

When Rachel said this it made me stop and think. At this point I had completey forgotton about the American life that was happening during the Price familys' trip to Africa. To me it seemed as though life in Africa was the only kind of life to live. The Africans didnt need all the parties and cars, it was about life and survival for them more than "popularity."

The same kind feeling came to mind when hearing about the royal wedding of Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton. I don't know about you but Princes...Princesses... Kings and Queens? To me this are unreal and not part of the world. But think, just because you dont hear about them everyday doesnt make them unreal.

This quote just reminded me that there are other things going on in the world that are outside of our everyday life. Just as Rachel never really got over her life in America. She was still the same person she was before. Self-centered and materialistic.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this post! Today in American we are so consumed with who has the newest technology rather than we needs help getting dinner on their tables. Reading this book helped me reaslize how much Americans take for granted...i hope to change my ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick statistic, on the radio this morning they said the Royal Wedding cost $34 million... All that money for one day on a single couple... WAISTFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA!! I had no clue a wedding could cost that much!! It does seem kind of ridiculous when you think about it! Maybe its logic like that that got America into so much debt! We spend so much on the little things that the big things like poverty and helping others (and perhaps the nation debt) get shoved under the rug!

    ReplyDelete