Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lurking in the Shadows

I really liked the conversation we had in class about how the truth is much like a shadow. Plato's example of this was so interesting to think about. In many ways I think much of our lives are portrayed as shadows. We may only see the 2D, single shade, shadow, but behind it lurks something so much more! Compared to a shadow, what makes it is so much more complex that to imagine an idea being that is amazing. To relate this back to PWB, I think the entire book may be a 5 person witness acount to the unveiling of the truth for their family. In the beginning they were all very naive and comfortable with their lives. As it goes on, I notice them acting alot more 'human'. I thought it was an interesting point of view to ponder with.

2 comments:

  1. Its very interesting thaty you chose to blog on this specific topic Casey. I thought you did such a good job explaining the "shadow" and how it relates to how we look at things in our life. And just now how you related it to the novel makes it that much more clearer. I was glad that you opened up in class because I understood the concept so much better afterwards since I didn't really look at it the same way as you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Casey. I was really impressed with your analysis of the symbol of the shadow in The Allegory of the Cave. In the novel it is very interesting to see how the characters (well most of them) begin to see things more clearly as their eyes "adjust" to Africa. Particularly Leah... you can sense her shift in perception as she begins to doubt her father and her eyes open to the reality of her situation and surroundings.

    ReplyDelete