Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I've been thinking...

And I think I've just had a revelation in my life.

Just after I finished my interview with my expert ( a professor at LSU ) in about 72 minutes, I really contemplated my life.  My subject being grade inflation, has forced me to look at a route that is often burried or intentionaly forgoten, just as Rachel does with her life.

I won't get to far into detail, FYI I had taken over 3 pages of notes on the interview, but the professor, Homberger, said that a primary way to fix the grade "compression", her term for inflation, is to redirct our foucus on the teaching outlook that is widly recieved.  Becoming a teacher needs to be a job that people want to do.  It needs to pay better, and the teacher needs to feel in control and not in fear of losing his/her job if he grades more harshly than average.  With  a goal being set by the teachers, students would strive harder to do tasks that seem impossible at first...sort of like this class.  And this preperation would make the students not only ready for college, but ready for the job they want.............

which isn't teaching.........

Homberger told me that students are having trouble finding jobs because although we have degrees, we are not really living up to the degree we've earned.  The grade inflation has made students dumber, while giving them a smarter report card and awards in trying hard.  Because of this, the jobs will typically go to more experienced workers, IE old people.

Another reason why the inflation in grades is so high is that it's easier on the teacher and helps him get by.  Homberger told me when schools get money, good grades are demanded out of them in return, but a good grade doesn't show progress all the time, if ever.  When it comes down to it, it's either your job, which is everything, or making the grades easier to reach.  I was told that many professors crack under the pressure and just make the class easy.  They keep their job, and the students get high marks.  This is a good short term fix, but the student will grow and find that he has learned very little!

And the students who are already really smart?  They will tend to avoid studying and still ace in High School.  But what kind of habit is this teaching the child?!  When he reachers college, he will be on his knees, freaking out over a bad grade.  And if he freaks out hard enough?  Then the class will get easier!!!!

I haven't said this yet, but the  reason I interviewed Dominique Homberger is because she was removed (fired) from teaching a biology class in LSU because she was grading to harshly.  She would make multiple choice impossible to guess, and would frequently give pop quizes to see if the students were doing their reading.  She's a role model!  She is what teachers should try and be like.  Her students were actully learning, and applying hard work for rewards in the format of high grades.

Homberger also said to end grade compression/inflation, teachers should get paid more.  With this, more professionals would give a stab at being a professor, and the teaching career would be less of a joke and spoken with respect.   But lets be honest, is our government really going to do this?  We need teachers, GOOD teachers.  And if we don't get them for our kids, then this generation, along with the next will be compressed into Exellence, while the majority don't know how to effectivly manage time or do a job right.

Which made me think......

What do I want to be?.... I want to be a Video Game Designer.  I have hundereds of games.  I don't just play them, I analyze them.  I dig into the story (which I find is much more pleasing and rewarding then "mindless" FPS's).  I study the game.  But what would a job like this do for me, or my country?  Sit in front of a computer and make art that is only respected by nerdy teenagers like me or bought and disrespected by the scum that is modern day freshman?  No...yes?  I really want to do this, but I'm I wasting my education?  My whole purpose of trying to exceed limits?  VG is a very artistic and unique road to travel.  While I strive in math and english, I can't really draw.  If so much of an emphasis is on that skill, will I waste my life pursuing a job that will only please me?  Will I even GET the job?  There are sssoooooo many geeks with no social life that would do great at this kind of job.  Better than me......well....yeah.

I know I'm smart, but has my dream of the past few years been... a joke? 

No, I can't believe it.... or except it.  But I can't be Rachel.  I need to address this, NOW.  I am smart, and charismi , at least I think I am.  And we need teachers.  The kids of now will never address the problem untill it is past due.  Untill we are run over by another country.  Untill we are so ignorant that we fail to see that our government is controling us.  But we will always be blind, unless there are those who enable us.  Someone who dedicates their life to make sure this reality never happens.  TEACHERS!!!  TEACHERS THAT KNOW HOW TO DO THEIR JOB RIGHT!!

But sometimes, why even bother?  Look at our senior class!  We used to have 120 or so kids, now we have 85-ish.  And of that 85, half are slackers.  Don't you even DARE deny it.  I even doubt that all the kids even in the harders classes will listen to the messages that we are learning.  Our class... all the classes, are just so.....ignorant.  I've been using that word a lot, but I can't think of a better one.

This whole idea of inflation, overshadowing and life long goals has really has made me turn around.  I guess was, somewhat enlightened in an educational sense.  But I wrote this rant with a main message, which is to thank you, Ms. Stariha!  You've pushed me and this class out of the stereotypes I was talking about earlier.  YOU, are that teacher.  The one who cares.  The one that is making a difference.  Like Adah, you chose to try and make the world better, with out focusing on the fake and miniscule pains, such as GPA and all the "I got an A-!!  The teacher did somthing wrong!  I'm better than this" moments. 

So...I guess... Thank you!

In a world where students are concerned with thier cell phones and MP3 players, you can kindly know that
 I'm listening.  And I'm contemplating whether or not this is the road I want to travel as well...

#%@#^, I still have to do Calc.

5 comments:

  1. http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/04/15/lsu

    If your interested...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...wow..that was AWSOME!! And so true! I know that I spend alot of time grumbling about how hard this class is but what I'm learning is AMAZING! I've never been pushed this hard in a class but I've also never learned as much! Each day that we spend talking about PWB opens my eyes to different things whether those things are government related or just plain cool! So thanks from me too Ms. Stariha!! I've learned so much in these past 6 weeks and we still have 6 more left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw that's deep ross, kudos to you man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..that was prettty deep. but, it really makes you think, i can't beleive that lady got fired for grading to harshly :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ross thats was deep man, i think your completly right saying that grade inflation makes the elite students lazy. I think it happens at our school were some teachers make the class extremly easy, which in turn provides no incentive to work hard. Also don't give up on your dream of being a video game developer, I think the stereotype of video games being mindless junk is nonsense. One of these days i see video games becoming like music and movies, in the way that developers can use them to get messages across and take stand on issues facing our society.

    ReplyDelete