Saturday, April 2, 2011

Cruise prep= Price family?

So on the long (24 hour...) drive to Florida for my cruise I had a lot of time to think. Along the way there was some GORGEOUS scenery especially once we actually got into Florida. While driving down the road we were surrounded by what looked a lot like a jungle. This got me thinking about Poisonwood Bible and how the Price family might have dealt with their upcoming trip much like my family has. I thought of how much my mom reminded me of Adah. A lot of times she doesnt really talk about what she's feeling and she is VERY analytical and likes to internalize many different facts and scenarios. While she's not at all bitter, my mom is very quiet and wise. My father on the other hand is very much a Ruth May. He is so exitable and is the one who wakes us up in the morning by throwing open the curtains and yelling "YOUR BURING DAYLIGHT!!!!" He is so much fun to travel and loves to explore and see everything he can whenever we go anywhere!! My brother is just like Leah. He is very logical and sees things in black and white, if its not right it is most definatly wrong. Seth thinks about everything that could happen and lays it all out in his head. While this leads to some unnecessary worry it makes the rest of us think about what might happen and helps us prepare. He also may or may not pretend like he knows everything... :)! Finally theres me. In preparation for this cruise I've realized that I'm more like Rachel than what I really want to admit. I constantly think about what other people will wear and how I'll stack up. I also think about how Jamaica will be different from home and if it will be dirty or to crowded. I even kind of worry about the people...will they bug me? Will they chase me around trying to make me buy stuff? What if they're dirty or rude?? Yup definetly more Rachel there than I'd like to admit.... So welcome to my 24 hour drive thoughts!! They used up a lot of time and even made me forget for a moment that I was stuck in the car with my little brother for another 10 hours!! >:S!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love how books can be related to real life. It makes them seem like they can relate to the reader so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I agree with you two. I have been looking around in my family and thinking about who would be who. Its kind of funny to think about

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it very interesting that you could compare your family to the characters in the novel. I also find it funny that you happened to be passing such a scenic area. I wonder what the rest of your trip will be like... especially if you later find more reasons and ways to relate your family to the Prices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Luke... I think your dad is most likely Ruth May and your brother Alex has to be Nathan. Your poor mother is definitely used and abused like Orleanna... and you and Jake... well you must be like Axelroot and Tata Ndu in terms of your hygiene and fashion sense. (Ha Ha... just kidding). I agree with you though SARAH... we all have more Rachel in us than we care to admit. We have to fight that materialistic judgmental attitude. I hope you enjoy the scenery of your trip. The weather is cruddy here!

    ReplyDelete