Thursday, January 13, 2011

Ahhh...the weekly blog....

I'm a lover of mysteries. I've read multiple Sherlock Holmes books and they just facinate me. So, obviously, in those kind of books there are clues and foreshadows that are put together like a puzzle. This is what I immediately thought of when I started to put details and happenings together in 1984.
Part of the reason I love the quote circles we do as a class is the amount of connections (theres that word again) that are made from just one quote or question! It seems to me that the deeper we go into conversation about one topic the more it branches out and becomes a complicated string of clues, all springing from one source.
When looked at from an un-annalytical view point, small things may not seem of importance, that they're just adding to the plot and realistic value of a story line. For me, in 1984, its almost as if nothing can be overlooked and just regarded as an extra detail. From the way the first two books have gone, I hope the third gatheres everything we've learned about Oceania, Winston, Julia, and the Party and weaves it all together into an amazing puzzle of an ending!

4 comments:

  1. WOW! You hit the nail right on the head! I love mysteries as well, and I've found this book to be quite perplexing. I just hope that the third book is more action oriented and focuses on clouser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy the book, but also must admit I get confused sometimes after hearing what some people say compared to what I think about a certain part or parts of the book. I definitely have to agree that the question/quote circles help me a lot and make me like the book even more by zooming in on specific details that I may have overlooked when reading on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the book too, and I must say that the quote circles are my favorite part!! I have such a hard time analyzing what I read and hearing other people talk about what they think really gets my mind going in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chelsea, I was going to make this comment after reading Casey's post, but now it makes sense to direct it to you as well. The best part of discussion as a class if hearing different point of view. It's great to bring up a point that you thought was interesting, that someone else may have overlooked or looked at differently. It shows the strength of this class in analysis and high order thinking that they can make connections and relate these ideas. Well done all!

    ReplyDelete