Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ruth-May

One interesting thing I noticed when Ruth-May died was that Kingsolver didn't make a big deal out of it, it just happened. Even though Ruth-May dying was the last straw when Orleanna finally took the rest of her family and left Nathan, there are just short little chapters about how she died and how Orleanna dealt with it and then they leave. It wasn't even Ruth-May narrating when she died, just one second they're checking on the chicken coop and the next, she's dead.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Christian Deen,
    If you are going to give away the book, you are supposed to say spoiler alert
    From,
    Someone who isnt that far

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, though I kinda expected Ruth-May to die. Don't ask me why, I just felt like it was going to be her. (Maybe 'cause she was the only one who got malaria?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This part was so sad! I felt like it was kind of ironic though that she died from the thing she felt safety from. I mean she was hidden in the trees and invisible when she was a mamba and then she was dead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. She wasn't the only one the got malaria Matt...
    2. I kinda think that that was Kingsolvers point- to not make a big deal about it. well, i mean the after effects were a big deal, with the kids mourning and the mother may i but at the same time it was subtle. death is not out of the ordinary for these people so it wasn't earth shattering for just another girl to die.

    ReplyDelete