Wednesday, January 18, 2012

'It's Like...[My] Golden Country..."

So today I was having a really hard time reading 1984. I just couldn't focus on it. So here's what I did. I put on lots of under armor, a light coat, and some big heavy boots. I put my 1984 in the pocket of my coat, and went running down my road.

When I reached the fork I "deviated" from the road and ignored the boy scout trail and ran some real cross country. I ran through huge drifts,over lots of bushes, and plowed my way through what seemed like endless patches of thorns and prickers. I fell on my face a few times, but got up and kept running.

I ran, and ran....and ran and ran andranandranandran. Until the weight of my boots over took me and the fire in my lungs was too much. Then I stopped. I walked until I found it.......The Golden Country.

Okay so it's not like the Golden Country in 1984, but it was for me. A trickling brook next to a large tree who's branches are forced into a low canopy by the weight of the sparkling white snow. The snow underneath the tree was thinner, a mere glistening of the powdery substance because the area was protected by the branches.

I took off my coat and laid it on the ground to sit. There leaning against that tree listening to the laughing of the creek beside me, I read 1984. It was very productive. I read until the bone chilling wind that cut through my clothes was too much.

And then I ran home :)

2 comments:

  1. The laughing creek? Wow Laura, wow. I think you're a closet Nick Sparks fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was no disapproving parent. No boy that got hurt. and no old people sex. Clearly I was only channeling Sarrah Dessen. not Nick Sparks. Though I am finding increasingly more of his works in my home

    ReplyDelete