Thursday, January 6, 2011

It's Just Amazing...

I'm quite surprised that this week I have actually had time to sit and think a little bit to myself. With all the projects and assignments to keep track of, it really is amazing!! The topic of my brief ponder: the political love discussion we had during class earlier this week.
The government in 1984 seems kinda extreme and unusual for us and the relationship between citizens and officials seems anything but loving. However, our government in our country isn't that friendly either. All the political ads, slamming other politicians, and ANNOYING phone calls (that conveniently come during dinner) are our governments form of propaganda. Trying to convince citizens that their views are the right ones, their ideas are the best ones, and it goes on.
Not only getting their views pressed upon us, but we have to deal with the arguments between the political parties. I think it's quite silly to not vote for a perfectly fine (maybe even beneficial) piece of legislature just because it was put together by the other party. Democrat or Republican, if it's good for your country, state, or town, it should be no problem to vote for it.
Both governments are vastly different, but I can still see some ties to each other. When I find the time, it's really an interesting scenario to think about.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was seeing the connection as well. (Hey! CONNECTION!) Although Orwell was off by a lot of years, his belief wasn't. I'm sure this book will have good clouser. If it doesn't, then I'll just have to throw a fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make some really good points, and I was also seeing the connectioins through the book and our own society... kind of scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NICE! I'm really excited to see you thinking about and building on our class discussion! Great job everyone.
    and Ross, you won't be disappointed - keep reading!

    ReplyDelete